Thursday, December 6, 2007

It's beginning to look a lot like...

So, somehow it is already December, and the Tholulwazi year is coming to a close. The time has really flown, but it has been exciting. The entire staff is gearing up for our annual Orphan Christmas Party (which will take place on Dec. 20), and Jim and I are struggling to finish all the end of the year reporting. It is really insane how much you must do to run a business. Especially when you just have two people to do all the finances, human resources, program management, reporting, fundraising, organization projecture, website, database, etc... But, we are learning a lot, and I guess it is a very real introduction to the world of NGOs.

It has been a while since I posted, so let me back track a bit. Jim and I had a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner with about 40 other people from the Manguzi Hospital. Another American and her parents cooked a feast, and by the end of it we were stuffed. It was tough being away from home, but my family took lots of pictures of their Thanksgiving to help me feel like I didn't miss it totally. The following week, we went out to a beach called Bongah Neck around 7pm to watch loggerhead and leatherback turtles lay their eggs. We walked for nearly 3 hours to find them, but it was beautiful to watch. The turtles were enormous and kind of prehistoric. I really felt like it was a once in a lifetime experience.

The following weekend, Jim and I went on an amazing bike trip. We went with two other couples and we cycled around 30 miles uphill (in incredible heat). The plan was to cycle up to this place called Waterfall Cave and camp out. Then, the next day we were going to cycle back. But, after a series of unfortunate events ending in our support vehicle breaking down and thus not being able to deliver our camping gear, we packed all our bikes in a car and drove back down. Jim and I were the only amateur cyclists and gosh - we were dead! It was such hard work, but we did enjoy some beautiful views.

This week we have just been working long hours and getting excited for this weekend. We are going to Tembe Elephant Park (a game park with tons of animals including the big five - rhino, lion, elephant, buffalo, and leopard). While we are there, we will stay in this great little wooden cabin and enjoy exciting game drives (driving around in open vehicles to look at the wild animals) and delicious meals. It will be quite luxurious! The place is running a special this weekend which is why we are able to do it.

Anyhow, that is about it for us. I just want to ask that you all keep Jim's old Zulu family (the Ntenbanes) that he used to live with in your prayers. His "host sister" just had a baby about 2 months ago, and the baby passed away yesterday. It has been really difficult for the family, and they need lots of support.

Hope you all have a great week!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Brice,
I always ask Ben about you only to hear the same "geez I need to check out her blog." So I decided to take some initiative! I'm so happy for you; it's clear you're doing the work you were meant for. I wish you a Merry Christmas and so much love. Say hey to the rhinos for me; I'm jealous. Hugs, Ruthie

Unknown said...

Brice,
I always ask Ben about you only to hear the same "geez I need to check out her blog." So I decided to take some initiative! I'm so happy for you; it's clear you're doing the work you were meant for. I wish you a Merry Christmas and so much love. Say hey to the rhinos for me; I'm jealous. Hugs, Ruthie

George said...

Read your article in Summer, 2008 PhiKappaPhi. Wow! Keep blogging