Monday, January 28, 2008

A New Job, a New Car, and Waterfall Cave!

The past few weeks have been really exciting for Jim and me. Two weeks ago, we drove to Durban for the weekend and picked up Tholulwazi’s new Isuzu KB250 truck! It is a beauty, and has already been used quite a bit for the organization. Tholulwazi has just grown so much over the past few months, we were in desperate need for additional transport. Our prayers were answered when AVERT, one of our funders decided to fund a second vehicle. Finding the right one and purchasing it did take some time, but it is now in Manguzi and being used for good.

Last week was another exciting change for us. After giving it a lot of thought, I have stopped working full-time at Tholulwazi, and instead am working full-time as a medical student in the Manguzi Hospital. Jim is continuing to work at Tholulwazi, and I am helping a bit on the side. But, for the most part, I am working full time at the hospital – in wards, rural clinics, and the operating room. This past week, I spent most of my time with Joost, a Dutch doctor, who works in female surgical ward. Together, we did ward rounds, saw patients in surgery, and visited two rural clinics. Everything we do, every patient we see is so interesting, and I am learning a ton.

Last Wednesday, after watching about 5 C-sections, a skin graft, and a few tubal ligations – I was actually allowed to scrub in on a surgery. I literally scrubbed my arms and got all sterile! Then, I helped the doctor complete a tubal ligation. Although my part was extremely minimal (hold gauze or a retractor) it was so amazing to be part of a surgery. I was pretty nervous with this person just lying in front of me with a big incision, while we dug around in her abdomen. But, after working for about 30 minutes to locate her fallopian tubes to tie off, the surgery was a success.

After such an eye-opening week at the hospital, we visited our ecologist friend out in Tembe Elephant Park on Friday. We had a nice chat with him and with another friend, Glinton, who is a helicopter pilot who flies over game reserves, counts animals, and does conservation work. They are both such intriguing guys with awesome jobs, it is always fun to talk with them. Then, on Saturday a big group of us drove to Waterfall Cave, a beautiful spot about 2 hours away. We hiked down to the cave and camped there for the night. It was so nice to swim in the pool of the fall and jump off the cave rocks into the water. We had a delicious braii (barbeque) and slept in gossamer mosquito nets in the cave. It was a magical trip. The next day we hiked out (just 45 minutes) and drove back.

And now, its back to work. I am heading to OPD to see patients who have come to Manguzi Hospital for daily appointments and then plan to watch some ENT surgeries later today…should be fun. Hope you all have a great week!

2 comments:

missjulierae said...

Sometimes, I can barely believe that you are actually doing these things :) I can't wait to come visit!!!

Miss you
Julie

Eric Hartsell said...

Hey guys! I miss yall soo much . I keep up with your post quite frequently . Sometimes we all just get caught up with our own small lives here in the good ole USA. Did you and Jim here about the Morgan family if not let me know and I can share with you guys so you can keep them in your prayers. I pray for you all the time. When do you actually return? Can't wait to see yall.... Please email me at my new email : runnerzinc@gmail.com